Ghoul afternoon, my lovelies (muhahahahaha…)….yes, I totally hit you with the Halloween cheese straight off the bat…and it’s not even October….
Sue Boo me! All I’m saying, you’ll have to get used it real quick, ’cause when October hits I turn into a full blown Halloween dork…snorts and all.
Now, whilst I am breaking every Halloween dork blog covenant here (that I just made up) by breaking the blog seal by posting something spookalicious a whole FOUR days early! Gasp! (They’ll have my head for that!) But the truth is, I actually wanted to get this book list out to you ASAP so that you can have at least a tiny jump on October if need be, and get these treasures on your book racks in time to enjoy throughout the month!
Now it’s no secret that we have little book lovers in our home. And whether it’s a bible story or a geography or bio lesson I want them to get, it’ll always be books that I turn to as my number one teaching aid. It also helps get excitement levels up for silly and fun things like Halloween up a huge notch. So books are always a big hit with my girls.
I normally start shopping for new ones to add to our growing book collection for each season (be it christmas, Easter, Halloween or even an actual season like Autumn) round about three months before the time, but the truth is, I’ve now learnt to always just keep my eyes peeled, as you never know when that bargain will strike.
Where do I get my books? (many have asked in the past) Mostly at book stores that are nearby, like Bargain Books, CNA or PnA. Sometimes I’ll splurge at Exclusiv Books, and other times online with Amazon or Takealot. It just depends..but mostly I like going into the bookstores themselves, where we can feel the pages on our palms and smell the settled ink as we run our fingers across the pages. The girls love it too – especially my eldest. If I want to make her feel spoiled, I take her to the bookstore – it’s a win every time!
But enough of that and our love affair with books, onward to our list…behold, ladies and gents…our 2018 reading list for Halloween: (Also, I’ve taken the liberty of linking it where possible!)
1. Room on the Broom (currently on special!) – Gotta love this latest classic from the very same team that brought you The Gruffalo! It has a charming repetitive nature to it, with a nice twist at the end. I adore this one!
2. Halloween Masks Sticker Activity Fun- (CNA, but also on Amazon) – Ok, so not so much of a reader as it is more of an activity book. But kids will still love it all the same, keep their minds engaged and little fingers busy. There are 8 press-out masks to make complete with elastics – my kids can’t wait to get cracking on this one.
3. Five little pumpkins – (CNA)- Now, whilst she may be little, our little Coco’s love of books is already quite evident. And I love it. So this year I made sure there was something sweet in our collection for her to enjoy as well. It not only incorporates counting into it, but has the a sweet and easy reading rhythm for littles too. And not to mention has some great texture options mixed in with fine motor skill encouragement with those little rubber pumpkins that can be squeezed and squeaked.Our little Coco is gonna love it! (ps.I used the incorrect pic for this one)
4. Halloween Activity Book – (PnA) Yet another activity book with stickers and games. It’ll keep them busy for at least two to three half-hour to an hour sessions.
5. The Leaves on the Trees – (Going for less than $2 on Amazon!) I know this one plays more to the American market what with their “Fall” coinciding nicely with their Halloween. But truth is, my sister is American and she sent this beauty to our girls some time back. So hell yeah, it’s a part of our October reading list!
6. Corduroy’s Best Halloween – Another American flavoured book from my sissy. And we are not complaining! Its a cute and simple story about kiddies choosing their halloween costumes (something we are still in the midst of negotiations right now), and about being kind and sharing and innovative in your thinking. So it’s on our list for sure!
7. Humbug Witch (also currently on special)– crazily charming little story that I simply had to get for the kids. Its about a witch that doesnt seem to be very good about being a witch, in fact even her laugh comes out a giggle instead of a cackle! It’s the latest hot-stuff in the international Halloween books circles,so go grab it while it’s still in stock!
8. Vampirina, Going Batty – All about a little girl trying to fit into the new neighbourhood, and then goes a little overboard in trying to get a playdate. Good lesson for all kiddies in there. Also it has stickers. Your kids will adore you.
9. Vampirina, Vee’s Slumber Party – A character so sweet she featured twice on our list! Truth is, there’s a lot to choose from in the Vampirina collection, also my girls are SO into slumber parties right now – not that I’ve ever let them have a real one with anyone yet. But I do like letting them get to satisfy their curiosity in it, albeit vicariously through these little books.
And there you have it…our Halloween Book fest for the coming month. If we do add anything to it, I’ll be sure to keep you
posted ghosted. But, are there any favourites you’d like to add to this collection? Anything we really cannot be missing out on this year? I’d love to hear!
Happy reading, folks! X